This recipe was inspired by the one I found in a compact recipe book from the hummingbird bakery, instead of making lavender icing, I made chocolate lavender instead. Delicious… Give it a whirl and send me photos of your Lavender cupcakes.
What you’ll need:
For the cupcakes, makes 12
120 ml/ 1/2 cup whole milk
3 tablespoons dried lavender flowers
120g/1 cup plain flour
140g caster sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
40g unsalted butter, room temperature
For the Chocolate Lavender icing
300g icing sugar, sifted
100g unsalted butter, room temperature
40g cocoa powder, sifted
3 tablespoons whole milk
2 tablespoons dried lavender flower
And here’s how you put all the ingredients together…
1. Put the lavender flowers into the milk, leave in your fridge for a few hours to infuse
2. Preheat oven go 170degrees C (325 degrees F)/ gas 3
3. Put flour, sugar, baking powder, and butter in an electric mixer with paddle attachments or hand held whisk, and beat on slow speed until you get sandy consistency and everything is combined
4. Strain the lavender infused milk and slowly pour it into the mixture, beating well until all ingredients are mixed. Add the egg and beat well, make sure you scrape the side of the bowl and mixed well.
5. Spoon mixture into cupcake papers until two-thirds full and bake for 20-25 minutes
6. While cupcakes are baking away, time to make your icing. Infused your milk with lavender flowers. If you infused more milk at the start, you don’t have to do the same process twice 😉
7. Beat icing sugar, butter and cocoa in a freestanding electric mixer on medium slow speed until they come together and well mixed. Turn mixture down to slow speed and add milk little at a time. Once all milk is incorporated, turn speed up to high. Beat until icing is light and fluffy for about 5 minutes
8. To check if your cupcakes are ready, insert skewers in the middle of the cupcake, if it came out clean then your cupcake is ready. Let them cool on a wire rack. Once the cupcakes are cool, you can spread the icing. Sprinkle some lavender flowers on top for decorations.
Enjoy!!! -love K.