“Beautiful skin begins with exceptional skin care.” – Anonymous via Pinterest
In my personal opinion, one of the most important step within your skincare routine is treatment. If you really want to see the difference in your the way your skin look and feel, I think adding a serum in your skincare routine is definitely the most effective. Over the years, through trial and error, I have finally found the perfect active ingredients that work best tackling my skin concerns.
Some of my main skin concerns are, hyperpigmentation, hormonal breakouts and because I have oily skin, I get the craziest shine at the end of the day as well. I do not want to completely magnify my skin, but a more balance skin will be a top priority for me.
The best actives I find that has helped me wth my skin concerns are,
- AHA (Alpha Hydroxy Acid) such as Glycolic/Lactic acid, which always help with exfoliating dead skin cells and helps with brightening any pigmentation
- BHA (Beta Hydroxy Acid) which is Salicylic acid, such a great active when you do get occasional breakouts
- Vitamin C is definitely a super star ingredients in my AM routine, because Vitamin C helps with overall brightening of skin and evening out my overall skin tone
After plenty of trial and errors on my part, I am getting used to finding the right actives in skincare products, mostly serum, that helped me tackle my top skin concerns. Products in my skincare routine changes quite frequently, as I am testing different products all the time, but the following are the four my current rotation that I am loving.
- Peach & Lily Glass Skin Refining Serum
Peach & Lily is a skincare brand created by Alicia Yoon, Harvard Business Graduate who loved skincare and have passion in helping others get better skin. We all need a friend like Alicia. The glass skin phenomenon stems from South Korea, where people want to have this pore-free, smooth complexion and radiant glow on their skin. Some try to achieve it using makeup with a bunch of highlighter, I prefer to achieve it (or as close to it as humanly possible,) through the help of really good skincare.
Glass Skin Refining Serum is sole goal is to get your skin that glass skin complexion through the help of the following star ingredients,
- Peach Extract known to be a source of many vitamins, minerals and essential fatty acids that helps to promote skin’s firmness, radiance and refilient
- Niacinamide the current superstar ingredients in many skincare products, believe to reduce inflammation. It has also believed to have many antioxidants which also helps to brighten skin
- East Asian Mountain Yam Extract helps to encourage a more supple skin and helps to reduce flakes
- Madecassoide derived from another star ingredient, Centella Asiatica, to help stimulate collagen production, reduce inflammation and soothe the skin
- Hyaluronic Acid & Peptide Complex, hyaluronic acid is the hydration hero within this formulation while the peptides helps to signal collagen production, which will help to reduce fine lines or deeper wrinkles. Collagen is the key cells that keeps our skin looking youthful, as we age however, the production of collagen slows down (from 28-30 days, it can decreases to up to 50 days… oh dear…)
Why I love? I love the light, gel texture, which sinks quickly into my skin. The formulation is scent free and so gentle, I did not break out or react to it, which is always a good thing. I notice a different on my skin after about a month of constant use in my AM skincare routine, the overall skin tone is brighter and more radiant. The serum did not give me that glass skin look, off course, I think my oily skin definitely does that whole shiny thing on its own. HOWEVER, it works wonder for your overall radiance 🙂
- Krave Beauty Great Barrier Relief Serum
Krave Beauty is such a wonderful skincare brand created by Liah Yoo, a beauty content creator on YouTube. I love how transparent the brand is when it comes to their products and the ingredients they use. I love how Liah shares many of the behind the scene and as consumers we get to meet the product’s producers/formulators, which is refreshing in the beauty industry. The sole purpose of this serum is to restore any damaged skin barrier, help sooth your skin as well as, evening out your skin’s complexion. What I love the most about this serum is 2% of every sales will be donated to the preservation of the Great Barrier Reef in Australia, which happens to be one of the world’s natural wonders.
Great Barrier Relief Serum is effective because of the following star ingredients,
- Tamanu Oil which according to research it’s the type of oil that has a skin regenerative properties. Longed been used to heal wounds and cure skin problems or ailments
- Safflower oil & Rosehip Seed oil are both used to add nourishments to the skin, as both oils are known to be rich in linoleic acid which can help to restore damaged skin
- NMF (Natural Moisturising Factors)+Ceramides and Squalane Combo which mimic a healthy skin barrier because all elements are naturally found in our skin. The combination of the three ingredients helped to replenish skin barrier without compromising it or cause sensitivities
- Niacinamide or Vitamin B3, but truly by now, we do not need to discuss the good thing about this ingredient 🙂
Why I love this serum? There are so many reasons why we can unknowingly compromise our skin barrier. The most common is definitely over exfoliation of the skin, however unseen factors such as hormonal imbalances or simple stress can also compromise our skin barrier. And since I have not seen many skincare brand come out with a serum solely to tackle this purpose, I am so pleased to have tried this one. The scent can be quite herbal, but personally, I do not find it unpleasant. As someone who goes to professional aesthetician once a month, this serum is definitely the one I reach for post-treatment and have helped reduce any skin peeling without causing any further sensitivity to the skin
- Sunday Riley Good Genes Lactic Acid Serum
Good Genes by Sunday Riley is definitely not a new name in the skincare industry. The first time I tried the product was because Caroline Hiron told me to ego for it and I want to thank you Mrs Hiron, for you have saved my skin. The serum is created to be a deeply exfoliating dull surface of our skin therefore helping us to achieve younger looking skin with radiance and clarity. The formulation also helps to brightens the appearance of age spots or any discolourations.
Good Genes is has the following star ingredients,
- Purified Lactic Acid is the main ingredients of this serum, which gently exfoliate your skin to remove pore clogging dead skin cells which in turn gives the skin a more smoother and clearer overall complexion
- Lemongrass Oil is included as an aromatic ingredient that also happen to be astringent and skin refreshing for toned complexion
- Licorice has longed been included in skincare formulation for its ability to help reduce dark spots, age spots and discolouration, which resulted in a clearer and more even skin tone
- Prickly Pear Extract or a rare dessert cactus is used to help soothe your skin, after all that exfoliation
Why I love this serum? I believe because I have a true oily skin, I do find that at the end of the day my skin can look quite dull and feel “thick” because of the oil layers on top of makeup that has been stuck on my skin. I find that all the time that I use Good Genes, my skin definitely feels and look brighter and clearer. This serum is definitely a powerful and effective, so caution if you have never used any acid exfoliation before. Introduce it slowly to your routine and remember to patch test
- Sunday Riley C.E.O. 15% Vitamin C Brightening Serum
A Vitamin C serum that created exclusively to help you brighten and even out your skin tone. This serum is also a more stable formulation of Vitamin C that helps to fade dark spots or age spots.
C.E.O. 15% Vitamin C Brightening Serum has the following unique star ingredients,
- Vitamin C (in the form of THD Ascorbate), which meant to be extremely stable and oil soluble form of vitamin c. It is here to help fight the signs of ageing such as dullness, visible loss of firmness, age spots or fine lines and wrinkles
- Phytosterols Complex isolated from soybeans, the concentration of this ingredients help to reduce redness due to skin sensitivity
- Saccharide Isomerate Extract is a water binding agent and good emollient for the skin, which can be particularly helpful for dry skin. This ingredient also helps to reinforce skin barrier for smoother, more youthful texture
- Glycolic Acid is an AHA that helps to refine skin texture and help to keep formulas pH level balance for maximum effectiveness of the formula
Why I love this serum? Vitamin C is definitely well-known to be unstable and oxidise quickly due to environmental factors, e.g. once exposed to oxygen, or various temperature. I love the fact that the more stable formulation of this Vitamin C serum means that there will be no change of scent, texture and colour within the formulation. I do have to admit that you do see the results a little slower than a more pure Vitamin C serum such as, Drunk Elephant C Firma Day Serum, however, I really dislike the fact that the serum changes colour and clogged up the spout on the packaging with brown gel, not appealing.
Off course, the above are my own opinion based on my experience using each products. Always remember, what works for my skin might not be the best for yours and vice versa. Always patch test and ask for sample when you are wanting to try new skincare product. I believe that it is a lot harder to fix a damage skin, so take care and be very gentle with your skin.