“At Then I Met You, we believe now – in the age of distraction – it’s time to go deeper,” – Then I Met You
Have you ever experienced that instant deep connection you have towards, someone, some thing or some place, that you just can’t explain? In some sense, this is the definition of the Korean word, Jeong. There’s no literal translation of the word in English language, but the meaning behind the word it truly beautiful. To the Then I Met You team, it means a deep and meaningful connection that encourages empathy and generosity and with this ideals, the team rooted everything that they do with each products they created for their customers.
For many people who knew me, aside from the fact that I am obsessed with skincare, I have a strong connection to the Korean culture. I am surrounded by amazing friends who are of Korean background, I enjoyed their cuisine, their language and their sense of humour. My visit to Seoul felt more like a true pilgrimage rather than a mere holiday, because it refreshes my mind and I came back inspired. I suppose it’s back to that word again, Jeong, I definitely felt that towards South Korea, especially Seoul. Guided by the same feeling of connection, I discovered Korean beauty and finally, Then I Met You.
For the longest time, I could not get my hands on them because Then I Met You do not ship overseas. But I am so thankful that they decided to make their products available on Soko Glam, which an online Korean beauty store co-founded by the same person that created Then I Met You, Charlotte Cho. I always loved shopping at Soko Glam because of all their well curated beauty brands and trust worthy recommendations.
The products that I purchased are, The Living Cleansing Balm, as a duo with Soothing Tea Cleansing Gel, as well as the other duo consists of, Birch Milk Refining Toner & The Giving Essence. As I am writing this, the team is about to launch their latest product, which will be a moisturiser, can’t wait for it to be available on Soko Glam so I can get my hands on it too.
I have used these four products exclusively within my PM routine for the past month and these are some of my thoughts on each individual products,
I love the sorbet like texture. I am a huge balm cleanser fan and I do rank this quite high up on the list of my most favourites, if not number 1. This balm is created with few star ingredients such as,
- Sea Buckthorn Oil which is known to be rich in fatty acids
- Persimmon Extract helps to capture free radicals and prevents premature ageing and photo damage. It is also an ingredients with a known skin brightening properties
- Olive oil, grapes Oil and Vitamin E, all are powerfully nourishing oils, high in antioxidants that helps to remove oil based impurities
Why I love? The balm is easily spread on your dry skin and emulsify beautifully. When you wash it off, there are no trace of oily feel on your skin. You’re pretty much left with supple, clean and soft skin
- Soothing Tea Cleansing Gel
The second step to your double cleansing, this cleanser features fermented rice water (sake) that meant to help clear impurities and soften the skin. It’s star ingredients are,
- Licorice root which is an effective antioxidant and natural skin brightening
- Rice Ferment Filtrate is rich enzymes and amino acids to nourish your skin
- Centella Asiatica a popular ingredient that help to increase moisture content in your skin
- Green Tea is calming and very high in antioxidants
- Tea tree lead is antimicrobial and anti inflammatory, also gentle for acne-prone skin
- a PHA in the form of Gluconolactone which gently exfoliates, without sensitising the skin
Why I love? Enjoys the light tea scent of this cleansing. I am pleasantly surprise by the fun jelly-like texture, a little weirded out to start with but enjoys it now. The cleanser does not foam like crazy, which I personally love because it does not feel stripping for the skin
- Birch Milk Refining Toner
This toner is designed to be used daily that will give you more than just simple hydration for the skin. Instead of water, the base of this toner is 76% concentration of pure birch juice, so you know the team at Then I Met You do not mess about when it comes to delivering highly efficient product to us, their customers. The star ingredients in this toner are,
- Birch Juice off course. Birch juice has a skin-soothing and hydrating abilities while packed with amino acids, enzymes, antioxidants which includes Vitamin C and B3
- Squalane derived from squalene, which our body produce naturally to maintain moisture in our skin. Squalane happens to boost cell regeneration while allowing other ingredients to absorb more efficiently into our skin
- Marshmallow root is an anti-ageing plant extract that helps to reduce inflammation and fine lines while hydrates and protects the skin
- Glycolic, Lactic Acid (both AHA) & PHA, both are gentle skin exfoliators, which helps to remove dead skin cells in order to encourage new skin to come to the surface. The combo also helps to counteract hyper-pigmentation and reverse the effect of sun damage
Why I love? First of all, I find the light tinge of violet of the toner to be a surprise, aside from that, this toner also has a slight fermentation scent, which reminds me a little of SK-II or Missha Time Revolution First Treatment Essence. I was so excited to receive this product, it happened to arrive on the day that I got my monthly acid peel done at my aesthetician, therefore the moment I pop this toner on, my skin experienced a slight tingles. Off course, it was because of the AHA & PHA exfoliating element within the toner, but thank goodness the toner is gentle enough that my skin was not irritated from he accidental double exfoliation LOL
The last on the line-up (for now), the treatment essence designed with over 80% naturally fermented ingredients, it hydrates your skin, but also work harder on giving your skin its youthful radiance back. Some of its awesome ingredients are,
- Black chokeberry which apparently have the highest recorded antioxidants which contributes to skin’s youth and radiance
- Elagic Acid protects skin from UV rays, collagen degeneration and harmful bacteria pathogens. It also said to be a safer alternative to other brightening ingredient
- Polyglutamic acid instead of hyaluronic acid, because this water soluble holds four times more moisture
- Galatomyces derived from fermented sake to reduce appearance of pores, blackheads and sebum, decreasing level of acne and improve skin brightness
- Red Algae which gives the essence its amazing colour, contain a high concentration of calcium. Happens to gently exfoliates, remove dead skin cells, reduce fine lines and brightened complexion
Why I love? I like the thin, more watery texture of this essence. I can not get over how pretty the packaging looks, for all of the products, but especially this essence. Anyway, side tracked, I love that this essence is fragrance free, despite having so many fermented ingredients. Within the month of me using this essence, I have noticed the lack of breakouts on my chin, which usually occurs around the time of the month.
Final thoughts on Then I Met You…
If I can only recommend one product from the line, the Living Cleansing Balm is definitely a clear stand-out for me. From the texture, the way it emulsify and the way my skin feels afterwards, this cleansing balm is a step above the many cleansing balm I have tried.
I honestly think using the combination of the Birch Milk Refining Toner with the Giving Essence, have definitely helped my skin’s overall more radiant look. Therefore, it will be hard for me to recommend one and not the other. I have a huge amount of respect for Charlotte Cho and her team at Then I Met You because you can feel the amount of thoughts that goes into every ingredients chosen to be in their products. You feel their passion for the brand, their products but above all, you can tell they want the best results possible for their customers.