“Why Grey? Cause my ideas are colourful…” – Unknown via Pinterest
I believe that it is in the make-up of my being that I am in love with the grey, navy and black. Possibly caused by growing in a city like Melbourne, who is so devoted to black, grey and navy are where I feel safe to express colour. However, once in a while, I will add a pop of other colour to my outfits to brighten my cloudy winter’s days.
Images via Pinterest, Death by Elocution
Ever since I have simplified my wardrobe and sticking to the minimalist approach, I get inspired to spice up my outfit through the varying shades of block colours. Whenever I need to update or hit refresh on my wardrobe, I always get plenty of inspirations from the world of street style photographies and do a quick edit of what I have. I find that doing a regular style edit of my own wardrobe, satisfied my inner shopaholic self. I managed to trick myself into thinking that I am shopping but I am not spending the money.
Images via Death by Elocution, Pinterest
Here are few simple steps I usually followed when I do my wardrobe edit,
- Get Inspired
- Using Pinterest or Instagram, I would give myself time to search specific trends I want to look up. My most look up search on Pinterest are, street style, minimalist style, minimal fashion and I would do a seasonal search of, winter or summer style
- Pick 5-days worth of looks you want to emulate
- From my Pinterest/Instagram search, I would pick up to five looks that I am inspired and loved the most, so much that I can see myself wearing the outfit combinations
- Break down the outfit, go to your wardrobe and “shop” what you have
- This the most fun part of the whole wardrobe edit for me. From the outfits photographs that I chose, I would break down each pieces and see what items I already have in my wardrobe
- Take photos of your outfits with your phone, I use Polaroids cause I feel like my own magazine fashion editor 🙂
- Using pieces from my wardrobe, I would do an outfit flatly on my bed and take photos of these outfits. I make this a fun and creative activity for me. Having these records on my phone or polaroids, helps shortened my time of picking what outfit to wear in the morning
- Complete your look
- In the occasion that you do not have certain piece in your wardrobe to complete your looks, I would make a purchase to complete my outfit. Here’s the important part, if it is a “trend” piece which will only be an IN look for this season, I would not invest too much of my money and would look into places like, ASOS or Uniqlo is one of my favourite
Images via Pinterest
I do my wardrobe edit twice a year, only when the season changes. I only do summer and winter wardrobe edit, our spring and autumn never last for very long here in Melbourne, hence I feel like I just extend my summer into spring and so on. Being in winter right now, I did my most recent wardrobe edit at the start of country-wide lockdown to prevent the spread of Covid-19 Corona Virus. This time, I added lilac jumper, burnt red oversized hoodie both from Stylenanda and an oatmeal coloured puffer jacket from Uniqlo. What style inspired you most lately?